Tuesday 13 September 2011

Prata Planet

Prata is one of my favourite foods and I am continually on the search for one of the best pratas in Singapore. And I can tell you that there's not really much outlets that sell good prata. So it just so happened that Makan Boy and Makan Girl were around Clementi and we decided to check out this particular Prata Planet.


It was about 10 plus but there were still quite a bunch of people over there so I guess this place is quite popular among the residents here. As its name has already said it's a restaurant so the staff will come and take your orders and deliver your food to your table. I had thought before going there it will be like Prata Wala where it is self service of sorts. 

Mysore Mutton
They have 3 mutton choices but in the end we chose Mysore Mutton ($3.50). Mutton is often the first choice of meat for me in any indian muslim eating place. Mysore is actually a place in India so I'm putting my money that this recipe originated in Mysore. Anyway, the mutton didn't really taste any good to me. It wasn't flavorful enough. 

Plain Prata
Next up, the plain prata ($0.90). Again, this prata failed to compare up to my standards, It wasn't crispy enough for me. Maybe I should try their other variations of prata some other day since there are quite a lot of them on their menu (see pics below).

Garlic Thosai
Finally, something that actually made my taste buds happy: Garlic Thosai ($2.00). The thosai was not actually really big but the paring with garlic was really awesome! Maybe it's because I just like garlic? Oh, whatever. Do try it if you are there!

Milo Godzilla
Something else on the menu caught my eye too. I had drunk Milo dinosaur before but I had never drink Milo Godzilla ($3.50). Yeah, so you can call me a frog in a well (it's a chinese phrase by the way). Boy, I regret buying their Milo Godzilla. I would rather stick with milo dinosaur. It's just a scoop of ice-cream on top. And it's vanilla ice-cream. A kid could tell you the pairing is weird. 



Verdict:
I don't think that they have one of the best pratas in Singapore. But if you are in the vincinity and have a craving for pratas then why not? Their prices are not over the roof and it's a nice place to have supper with your buddies. 

P.S.
I have read a substantial amount of reviews online raving about their pratas. Hmm, perhaps I missed out on something? I might go back again to investigate the rest of the prata variations. And apparently, Prata Planet belongs to a chain that have other outlets with names of planets such as Mercury and Mars. It's also related to Mr Prata since I saw one of their posters on the wall which says Mr Prata. Mr Prata is another prata house for in info. Interesting....

Prata Planet 
Blk 320 Clementi Ave 4, #01-37 S120320
6.30am to 11pm



3 comments:

  1. their prices look quite cheap for a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. their prices have increased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOT only have prices gone up, so has the attitude of staff members shot northwards. My wife and I had a not-too-pleasant experience this week when we went to Prata Planet at Clementi Blk 320, using the offer voucher of $4.90 each.
      i)First unpleasant experience - A lady staff member told my wife that there is a time limit of an hour to eat as they expected a large crowd. This condition was arbitrarily imposed as we could not find it in print anywhere on the e-voucher.
      ii) Second unpleasant surprise - the prata we ordered(onion and mushroom) had so little ingredients in them that we were practically eating unleaven wheat cake.
      iii) Third unpleasant disappointment - my second order of a mushroom prata arrived without any curry - just on a small porcelian plate and I was expected to eat it using the metal partitioned plate (with hardly any sauce left). I thought I was at a restaurant but the service, reluctant and unsmiling, left much to be desired.
      For sure it would be our last visit there.

      Delete