Friday 26 August 2011

Geylang Food Trail: Lion City Frog Porridge

Online reviews claimed that Lion City Frog Porridge is one of the best frog porridges, if not the best. Just how good is it?

They are famous for their Gong Bao Frog. You can order one, two or three frogs which costs $8, $16, $22 respectively. It's more expensive than that of Eminent Frog Porridge (I shall do a review on it soon) which is also round the corner. Eminent has a promo that gives you 3 frogs for the price of 2 meaning it's only 16 bucks.


Alright, so I ordered the $8 one since my stomach was already 75% (estimated figure) full by now after the big prawn noodles and hokkien mee (see previous posts for reviews). I ordered their smallest serving of porridge ($2) as well if not where's the porridge in frog porridge? There's was quite a bunch of people in that coffee house and almost everyone was eating their frog porridge. It is that popular... Needless to say I had to wait a while before...... my frog came first. 5 mins later, my porridge arrived. No comments.


At first taste, I could only taste the sweetness then the spiciness sets in. I'm not a big chilli fan but I could still fairly appreciate the full flavor of it. There's a lot of chilli padi so for those who do not absolutely tolerate spiciness do not try it please. Go for their ginger and spring onion frog. Maybe I should try that someday as well. Who knows it might even taste better than what they are famous for: Gong Bao Frog? The porridge is pretty normal for me. 


Ok, enough about the sauce and porridge. Let's talk about the meat of the frog itself. I know many people say that frog meat tastes like chicken meat. I really beg to differ. Frog meat is more tender and has more spring that gives your mouth that wonderful feeling to chew on. And do I enjoy the frog meat from Lion City? Absolutely. I think one frog is not enough for me. I regretted buying just one. I need at least 3. 


Verdict:
Flavorful Gong Bao Frog although a little bit too expensive. I tried the ginger and spring onion frog over at Eminent's and they were quite good. I'm not too sure about their gong bad frog though. If theirs is good as well, then they can give Lion City a run for their money since Eminent is cheaper. Overall, I would still recommend everyone to try it except for chilli haters.


P.S.
You can sit at the opposite coffee house and still order the frog porridge and they will still send it over. The famous beef kway teow and Qiu Ji fried hokkien mee are located over there at the opposite side. But I was already too full so I guess a sequel of Geylang Food Trail is guaranteed in the makings. Stay tuned!

Lion City Frog Porridge
235 Geylang Road, Lorong 9 S389294
67468105
5.30pm to 3.30am

No comments:

Post a Comment