Saturday 27 August 2011

Golden Mile Food Centre : 91 Fried Kway Teow Mee

Just not too long ago, Makan Boy made a trip down to Golden Mile Food Centre since some of the best hawker stalls are located over there. Subsequent posts will be about some of the other hawker stalls I patronised in Golden Mile Centre. I will start off with 91 Fried Kway Teow Mee (or simply, Char Kway Teow).

No pork no lard!?
The stall front states prominently that there is no pork or lard added so this must be one of the healthiest Char Kway Teow in Singpore I reckon. But without the lard would it taste as flavorful? There are tons of advertisements on their stall front and even tv screens showing the replays of tv programs that feature their Char Kway Teow. Wow, I guess this char kway teow must be really that power to attract that much attention.

So many signs... One set of chopsticks... No empty plates...
Well, there wasn't much of a queue there so when I ordered my Char Kway Teow ($3) it came pretty quick. Oh it is self served by the way. They use disposable plates and utensils which I don't quite really like because I like to eat my food with real plates and utensils. Just my personal preference since I like that more substantial eating experience. And... they even have a sign saying that only a set of chopsticks and spoon per plate and no empty plates are given out. 

Sure enough, the Char Kway Teow wasn't oily at all and there's a heap of vegetables on top. Hmm, it's pretty ironic to pair char kway teow with healthy eating don't you think? There's Ikan Bilis as well which I don't think I have ever seen in Char Kway Teow.

Healthy eating?
I needn't have to worry about the lack of flavor because even though there's no lard the Char Kway Teow still tasted remarkably sweet. I should say it tasted unique because of its sweetness. Guess I wasn't disappointed at all.

Verdict:
This stall does triumph over other average Char Kway Teow stalls so yes I would still come back for more. You should try it for yourself the unique taste and the sweetness. Even though they didn't use lard, I think they did a pretty damn good job. I correct myself. Precisely because they didn't use lard they did a magnificent job of producing such good Char Kway Teow. Thumbs up!

91 Fried Kway Teow
505 Beach Road #01-91 S199583
Golden Mile Food Centre
11am-9pm daily
Closed on Monday


No comments:

Post a Comment